What can you do?

Educate Yourself and Your Loved Ones

  • Call your local health department to learn more about rabies and support rabies control efforts in your community.
  • Refer to the USDA Wildlife Management website to see if your state has an active wildlife baiting program underway.
  • Check out our Resources for educational tools and opportunities.

Show your support for rabies control programs

Contact your congressman and communicate your support of rabies control programs in your state. Contact your public official.

Seek Medical Attention if Bitten or Scratched

If you or a family member is bitten or scratched by an unknown pet or wild animal, immediately and thoroughly wash the wound with soap and water, then contact your doctor or emergency room for further instructions.

Report Incidents Involving Your Pets

Report stray animals to local police or animal control officers. Call your veterinarian if your pet is bitten or scratched by a wild or stray animal. Even if your pet is vaccinated, it is important to report potential rabies exposures.

Vaccinate Your Family Pets

  • Ask your veterinarian to immunize your dog or cat against rabies.
  • Encourage your neighbors to vaccinate their pets.

Refrain From Touching Or Moving Animals

  • Do not touch bats or wild animals that appear sick or injured. Call animal control to remove them.
  • Do not spread rabies by moving wild animals to new locations. Report nuisance raccoons, skunks or other animals to your state’s Department of Natural Resources or a licensed animal removal service. Capturing and moving wildlife is against the law in many states.

Do Not Disturb Baits

If you find a RABORAL V-RG bait unit, leave it alone. If you do happen to come in contact with a RABORAL V-RG bait unit, please call this toll-free number: 1-877-RABORAL (1-877-722-6725).